MALS is seeking a Treasurer/Accountant
Melbourne Activist Legal Support (MALS) is seeking a skilled and committed Treasurer with an accountancy background to join our Organising Group and help build our impact, increase our capacity and growth.
About Melbourne Activist Legal Support
We are an independent volunteer group of lawyers, human rights advocates, law students and para-legals. MALS trains and fields Legal Observer Teams at protest events, monitors and reports on public order policing, provides training and advice to activist groups and develops legal resources for protest movements.
We are an Incorporated Association governed by a voluntary Organising Group, committed to democratic and community management and the principles or good governance.The Organising Group is the ‘strategic manager’ of the organisation, provides strategic direction, leadership and helps develop our purpose and priorities, monitors our strategic plans and organisational policies, fund-raising activities and is responsible for operational decisions. The Organising Group meets on the first Thursday of the month at 6:00pm and organises using online platforms.
The role of the Treasurer is to maintain an overview of the organisation’s financial status and to ensure that proper financial records and procedures are maintained in line with legal requirements and the MALS Constitution. The role will involve the setting up of simple and effective financial and budgeting systems and procedures.
Primary Tasks and Responsibilities
- Work with the Secretary and others to ensure that comprehensive financial management and budgeting policies and procedures are in place in accordance with ATO requirements.
- Provide strategic advice and guidance on financial and operational matters.
- Coordinate the development of annual budgets.Participate in monthly Organising Group meetings and annual strategic planning sessions.
- Review and report on monthly/quarterly financial reports.Ensure compliance and record-keeping to meet the conditions of funders or grant providers.
- Prepare annual financial and Treasurer’s report for the Annual Report and present at AGM.
Essential Selection Criteria
- Financial and budget management experience, ideally with qualifications in accounting.
- Excellent business and financial acumen.
- Ability to develop financial systems and accounts.
- A strong commitment to MALS purpose, culture and values.
- Capacity to support an inclusive and democratic approach to discussions and decision-making.
- Ability to problem-solve, resolve disputes, and be solution-focused.
- Ability to dedicate regular time to MALS responsibilities (approx 1-3 hours per week).
- Understanding of non-government, not-for-profit or social movement organisations.
- Organisational development and governance experience.
- Demonstrated experience as treasurer in a non-profit organisation or in a relevant financial management position.
- Legal and constitutional requirements under incorporated association’s legislation.
IMPORTANT – Before applying
- This is a voluntary position.
- This position has a minimum commitment level of 1-3 hours a week.
- Most work can be done from home.
- Attendance at monthly meetings is required (either on-site or online).
For further information and to discuss the position please contact Jaffa or Anthony.
To apply for this position please provide an short email addressing the selection criteria and a recent CV attached to: [email protected]
Applications will be assessed as they are received.